Full of casein protein (the slower releasing, anti-catabolic kind), cottage cheese has about 100 calories per 1/2 cup, about 15 grams of protein and 5 grams of carbs. But be sure to check the label because cheaper store brands are full of artificial additives and fillers - which often make for a higher carb count and 'off' flavors. I probably don't have to mention this, but don't buy the pre-sweetened, sugar-laden variety.
But you may be wondering, what the heck do I do with this tub of cottage cheese?
- A quick, tasty breakfast or snack is simply a bowl of lowfat cottage cheese, sprinkled with cinnamon/erythritol and walnuts.
- For pudding textures, use the food processor and add flavorings.
- For creaminess in a protein shake, scoop in a few dollops straight into the blender.
- Puree with savory seasonings for a vegetable dip or mix in with your tuna/chicken salad.
- Pumpkin Protein Ice Cream
- No Bake Pumpkin Pudding
- Blueberry Cheesecake Pudding
- Peanut Butter Mocha Pudding
- Quick Pumpkin Pudding
- Almond Pudding
Great Cottage Cheese Resources: